Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Layin’ Off the Booze (Again)

I stumbled across a lovely little article today. It basically said that a person who drinks one alcoholic beverage a day increases their risk of bowel cancer by ten percent; a person who drinks two alcoholic beverages, increases their risk by twenty-five percent; and me? I fall somewhere between a seventy and ninety percent increase, if my calculations are correct.

Did I mention the odds are already along the lines of 1 in 20 for men, and 1 in 18 for women?

Hence the dilemma, or “new arrangement” as I should call it. In the interest of my beloved bowels, I’m no longer afforded my nightly bottle of wine. The teat is dry. At least for now.

6 comments:

Dave B. said...

Best of luck with that. I've never been much of a drinker myself, but two of my best friends are functioning alcoholics. They drink every day, bar none, but it doesn't affect their work of home life. Another acquaintance of mine died last week of the drink. He lost his job and simply holed up in his house and drank himself to death. I didn't know him well, but it was very sad, none the less.

My vise is ice cream. Can't leave the stuff alone.

Cheers,
Dave

Anonymous said...

I read that taking at least 600 milligrams of Folic Acid is supposed to reduce your risk of developing breast cancer if you drink moderately. I'm not sure about other forms of cancer. Folic Acid is supposed to repair DNA. DNA is responsible for the normal replication of cells. If your DNA does not replicate cells properly then it could lead to cancer. That's also why pregnant women are urged to consume adequate amounts of Folic Acid. I think that's what I read, anyway.

Anyway, enough of the science lesson. I like to drink too and I hate that it is bad for me.

Why is everything good, so bad for us?

Leila V. said...

Dave:
That's horrible, (and should keep me off the sauce for at least another week).

***
Anonymous:
Very interesting! I'm off to the store for some Folic Acid now. Although, knowing my luck, in a year they'll announce that combined with no alcohol it increases your risk for cancer by 50%...

Anonymous said...

Leila, you are too funny! Even your responses crack me up.

Anonymous said...

Leila, you are too funny! Even your responses crack me up.

Lacy said...

Yo chiquita....the way I see it...we have to die of something, so make yours a pleasant death. :) Enjoy your evening vino if you want. ;)