Sunday, July 01, 2007

Death's Doorstep

I woke up yesterday morning with severe back pain. Not fucked up liver back pain from too much drinking the night before, but spinal tumor, cold back, muscle dystrophy, I’m going to die, back pain. I figured I just slept wrong and carried about my business, drinking wine and eating salmonella infested turkey, and assumed that if I made it through the night without gastrointestinal combustion, the back pain would be gone.

It’s not. It’s worse.

I literally cannot move my head without sharp, crippling pain shooting through my left shoulder blade into my neck. It’s unbearable. If my attempt at self-medication with Advil and Sierra Nevada doesn’t work, I’ll be forced into the emergency room before nightfall. I can only live in such agonizing pain for so long.

The scary part, aside from the horrific stabbing sensation when I reach for my beer or turn to look at the TV, is that the area of my neck and back where I’m experiencing the pain, is not sensitive to the touch. Nor does it hurt when I move my arms.

Rey thinks the pain is stress induced. Or, a possible attempt to foil our trip to his cousin’s two hundred plus person wedding on Saturday. He could be right, or, I could be right and the tumor is about to engulf my soul.

1 comment:

Barbora said...

Good luck with the self-medication!