Sunday, May 13, 2007

Impulsive Girl + Impulsive Boy + Payday + Dog = Problem

I grew up with animals. Over the years, (but not all at once), I've been the proud owner of three dogs, four cats, who knows how many fish, a hamster, two leopard geckos and a chinchilla. Naturally, I fancy myself an "animal person."

So on Friday, when I received an email from a co-worker with this adorable clip of a dog attempting to eradicate a cat from his bed, I was filled with a sudden longing for a new member of the family. That was the beginning of the end. I forwarded it to Rey, who shared my desire, and shortly thereafter, we made a date to scope out the humane society for dogs that night. Not to adopt one, but just to look. We wanted to make an informed decision before bringing a new animal into our home.


Sure enough, not thirty minutes into our “window shopping,” we came across a gorgeous, chocolate miniature pinscher. One hour later and one-hundred-sixty dollars lighter, Me, Rey and “Eisley” emerged from PetSmart.

Fast-forward to six o’clock the next morning. Rey and I looked at each other the way two strangers must when they awake together in bed after a long night of drinking. Eisley was frantically leaping about the room.

It dawned on us, we're not "dog people."

Four beers and four hours later, with hats in hand, eyes full of tears, and hearts full of shame, we trudged back to the humane society where we “surrendered” Eisley. Naturally, we blamed it on our cat, which couldn’t have been further from the truth. We crafted a wild story about our cat pissing on the bed, World War III and severe emotional distress.

We’re now on adoption probation for the next ninety days. But are looking into purchasing a purebred Scottish Terrier.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor thing.

Sean said...

WTF? That doggie wasn't even attractive. What on Earth were the two of you thinking? Buy cute pets with your shiploads of money. That thing is missing most of its tail. It's all doo doo brown. That's the dog of a UPS truck driver. Get a kitten. They start out cute and only endear themselves to you more as they grow.

Barbora said...

Leila! You did the RIGHT thing!

Your post got me writing an entire post of my own that I will try to get up ASAP tomorrow.

In the meantime, please be aware that Terriers are NOT beginner’s dogs! Even the $1,000 ones, “raised under foot.”

Mini Pins are pretty hyper…but terriers are in a class by themselves. Talk to Cynthia Blue about this issue! She does agility and knows about breeds.

You may want to think about a golden retriever.

Barbora said...

Leila! You did the RIGHT thing!

Your post got me writing an entire post of my own that I will try to get up ASAP tomorrow.

In the meantime, please be aware that Terriers are NOT beginner’s dogs! Even the $1,000 ones, “raised under foot.”

Mini Pins are pretty hyper…but terriers are in a class by themselves. Talk to Cynthia Blue about this issue! She does agility and knows about breeds.

You may want to think about a golden retriever.

Barbora said...

Oh! Screw my bad html.

You can link to Cynthia Blue from the comments on my last post.

Barbora

Leila V. said...

Sean:
lol! I thought he was adorable. We already have a kitten and she refuses to cohabitate with other cats. Hence, the dog.

***
Barbora:
Thanks for your vote, it's been a rough afternoon. I cringe every time I see that little face. But, hyper was an understatement, and we run a pretty mellow household. I'll definitely check out Cynthia Blue...

Addie said...

Leila! Welcome back to the "world" LOL.
As for the puppy...I think he was adorable...but you absolutely did the right thing. Hyperactive doggies + people who are used to cats and laid back = not such a good idea. I saw something at cracker barrel yesterday you might be interested in:
Perfect petzzz
The roommate thinks they're creepy...but not being one for "normal" I'm looking at acquiring a boxer :O)
Addie

Leila V. said...

Hey Addie:
Thanks, it's good to be back! The dog fiasco was definitely not a good idea. Those Perfect Petzzz are right up my alley! If only you'd directed me there on Friday. ;)

Anonymous said...

Goodness I didn't know my name was here! :) Such fun. Dogs are a lot of work for sure. I do collie rescue and have done all breed rescue for about 10 years. I love dogs, but dogs are not humans, and they definitely need to be worked with like dogs. :) If you get another dog, just remember that older dogs placed into rescue have a very hard time finding homes. So don't get a dog unless you REALLY know what you are getting into! :)

Leila V. said...

Hey Cynthia:
I definitely didn't realize what I was getting myself into. I think I like the idea of a dog, more than a dog itself. I'm pretty sure I'll be sticking to cats.