- Lightning — 1 in 79,746
- Air/space transport accidents — 1 in 5,051
And, who knew that you’re just as likely to die as a passenger in a car crash, as you are from falling down, or shooting yourself on purpose:
- Car occupant — 1 in 237
- Falling — 1 in 218
- Shooting yourself on purpose — 1 in 222
Oh, these are my favorites:
- Accidental suffocation/strangulation in bed — 1 in 7,541
- Contact with hot tap water — 1 in 144,156
- Bitten/stung by non-venomous insect/arthropods — 1 in 312,339
- Drowning/submersion while in or falling into bathtub — 1 in 11,289
- Bitten or crushed by reptile — N/A
The odds by accidental suffocation/strangulation in bed are pretty high! Which makes me very suspicious, and paranoid. I guess there’s more wisdom in the old saying “don’t go to bed angry,” than I previously thought. And I’m still trying to figure out how you die from contact with hot tap water.
On the bright side, at least we don’t have to worry about getting crushed by reptiles.